Do you want to redesign or redecorate your home but have no idea where to start? You can always choose to call a professional like Aarons Touchup repair and restoration in Dallas Texas interior decorator to help you out, but they can be pretty costly. So if you want to redecorate your home without having to spend money on professionals, here are some interior design fundamentals you can use. But first, what is interior design?
Interior designing is the process or art where you design and beautify the interior decoration of your building, home or even just your room. However, interior design is not just about the aesthetic beauty of your space. It is also about discovering various creative solutions for designing the interior of your place while still maintaining the safety, well-being and health of the occupants. The way you conduct your interior designing should also result in something that would improve the quality of your living.So, how do you do this? Here are some things for you to consider when interior designing.
Fundamentals Of Interior Design
There are a lot of factors which are taken into consideration when interior designing. However, here are 2 basic concepts you can keep in mind if you want to redecorate your home by yourself without consulting and spending money on professional interior designers.
- You should maintain an equal distribution of the visual weight within your home. There are three types of balancing that you need to consider: Asymmetrical, symmetrical, and radial.
- Asymmetrical balance. This is the most suitable in terms of designing these days. Balancing a room asymmetrically entails placing various different objects that have equal eye attraction or visual weight. However, while asymmetrical balance emits a less artificial feeling and more casual-like, it is pretty difficult to achieve. An asymmetrical balance typically suggests movement and this leads to interiors which appear to be very lively.
- Symmetrical balance. On the other hand, this is normally found in interiors which are more traditional. It is characterized by similar objects which are repeated and placed in the same positions on both sides of an axis which is vertical. For instance, try imagining a room where each side is decorated in a similar fashion. Imagine that the decorations are an exact replica of the other side. This symmetry is reminiscent of the human form and we are inherently more comfortable in balanced settings.
- Radial symmetry. This occurs when all of the elements of your design are decorated around a specific center and focal point. For instance, a staircase that is spiral in design is an outstanding example of radial balance. Although this is not often used in interior designs, it is able to provide a fascinating counterpoint when it is used right.
- If you do not want to end up with a boring looking room, make sure to carefully consider the rhythm that you set with your decorations. Rhythm, in interior designing, revolves around the repetition of visual patterns. It is all about recurrence, continuity or about organized movement. In order to achieve a certain rhythm when you decorate, you need to consider the contrast, repetition, transition and progression.
- The concept of contrasting is pretty straightforward. All you have to do is to put two different elements opposite of one another, for instance you can place a white and black pillows on your sofa. You can also achieve this by putting squares and circles together.
- In repetition, you basically use identical elements more than once all throughout your space. You can either repeat a color, pattern, line or some other design element.
- The concept of transition is fairly hard to describe. Unlike progression or repetition, transition typically involves a smoother flow. In transition, your eye should naturally glide from one area to the next. For instance, the most recognized and typically used transition is using a curved line to gradually lead the eye to the next area, such as a winding path or a doorway that is arched.
- In progression, you take an element and you either increase or decrease one or more of its unique qualities. The most obvious way to implement this is by size. For instance, an array of candles in a tray and are all in various sizes attracts attention simply because of the natural progression that it presents.
These are just 2 of the basic fundamentals of interior designing. So if you want your home to look presentable and feel as comfortable as it can be, make sure to consider these things, and some other concepts as well.